Friday, May 14, 2010

Aunt Nell's Molasses Cookies


The first time I tried to recreate my Grandmother's molasses cookies, there was just something missing; too cakey, too much spice, something was wrong. I just couldn't figure it out, and I swear I followed the recipe verbatim. Then I discovered another recipe in the box, again for molasses cookies. This one she inherited from her sister, my Aunt Nell. This had to be it, and guess what? BINGO! You can see from the picture it is simple enough to fit on one 3x5 card, probably because it is missing some instructions, which my Grandmother had, of course, just committed to memory. Luckily I committed the missing steps to memory as well, and have filled in the gaps...

Aunt Nell's Molasses Cookies

3/4 cups soft margarine (or butter of course)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger


Cream together margarine (or butter) with with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add one egg and molasses until well blended. Sift together all dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture, one cup at a time. scrape down bowl to ensure everything is incorporated and chill until firm, about one to two hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll into balls about the size of a walnut and dip in sugar. Space out on greased cookie sheet (although I recommend a Silpat if you have one) about an inch and a half apart and bake for ten minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Makes about two dozen (plus a couple of extra) cookies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment